Stranded in WoW 3.0.2 withtout working addons? Getting mad because you can’t exactly figure out what’s broken where?
Many things actually work, but in order to get it fixed, a methodical approach works best.
Here’s my method:
- AddOn Control Panel (ACP), found here
- If you’re using Gatherer or Auctioneer, Swatter which is part of the distribution, otherwise I recommend Rabbit’s excellent Buggrabber.
- Disable all AddOns
- Make sure ACP and either Swatter or Buggrabber is active (if you have both, Swatter will politely yield to Buggrabber)
- If you’re using Swatter, after loading a toon, type /swat enable. Remember, if you have both, only Buggrabber will actually work
- Type /reloadui (it should now work) or /acp and click the reloadui button, you’re now in a clean slate state
- Now add your addons back through ACP step by step, and reload the UI between each step
- Swatter should start popping up by itself, if not, type /swat show to see the error list, and /swat autoshow once to have the window pop up on an error
- The errors due to any missing libraries are at the beginning of the error lists, the rest are usually errors borne out of the fact that said libraries aren’t there
- /buggrabber # will show you each error in turn. Swatter will need you to click through to reach the earliest errors.
- Now go download your missing dependencies, exit the game and restart to get them accounted for, then rince and repeat.
- Last but not least, with Swatter, make sure you type /swat clear before you reload, since it actually saves the entire error list. Buggrabber does not.
Note that Buggrabber also relies on a companion, bugsack, which gives a nice window display too. It doesn’t currently work for me, though, and barebones buggrabber does the trick as well.
It’s a long and painful process, but the only way to recover whatever you need asap without going completely insane.